I am almost finished reading a book
called Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay
Asher. So far I have really liked it. It is about a boy named Clay Jensen who
receives a package from Hannah Baker, a girl that had recently committed
suicide. The package has 7 tapes (a total of 13 stories) and a map that he is
supposed to follow as he listens to the tapes. After he gets through all of the
tapes he is supposed to mail the package to the next person on the list. The
tapes are Hannah's suicide note. She mentions that copies of the tapes have
been made, and if they don't get passed on to each of the 13 people, the copies
will be made public. I wonder who has the copies of the tapes and how they know
if the tapes are being passed on. I also wonder how far in advance Hannah had
planned all of this, because it must have taken some time and lots of planning
to make sure it worked.
While Clay is following the map to
the locations of the tapes he runs into a girl named Skye who he used to have a
crush on in middle school but now she doesn't really talk to anyone. I predict
that after Clay finishes listening to Hannah's tapes he will start talking to
her again because you never know what someone else is going through and maybe
she just needs a friend.
Text to World
“She lifted one of her hands and
slapped a paper on the table. She pushed it across and spun it around for me to
read. It read Who’s hot/not.” ( Asher 64-65)
In the story a character named
Jimmy Long makes a list that ranked girls depending on if he thought that they
were hot. This made me think of when America was segregated and African Americans
weren’t considered equal to white people. I know that the circumstances are
very different in the book, but still both are situations when people are being
discriminated against.
Text to Media
When I realized that the tapes were
Hannah’s suicide note, it made me think of Amanda Todd. Amanda Todd was a girl
who uploaded a video to YouTube that talked about her experiences with
bullying. Both Hannah and Amanda used a form of media to share their
experiences with bullying. Also, in the book when the people receive and listen
to the tapes they get embarrassed and mostly they feel guilty for what they did.
I think that the people who bullied Amanda Todd probably felt similarly when
they saw the Amanda Todd video.
Text to Text
This book reminded me of the book Looking for Alaska by John Green. In Looking for Alaska a girl named Alaska
kills herself and her friend Miles tries to figure out why. Clay reminded me of Miles because both of
them had a crush on a girl who commits suicide, and both of them feel
responsible. However, both of them also change as person as a result. Clay
starts to notice people like Skye who he normally would ignore and he stops
being so fast to judge people. Miles learns to forgive and he also stops being
so fast to judge people and to not believe them when they say things like that.
I really have been meaning to look into this book. It sounds very impactful.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a good book!
ReplyDelete