Sunday, September 29, 2013

Diction


I am now over halfway done with Shiver and so far it is okay. It is a little slow, but the author uses good writing techniques.  She uses a lot of good imagery when it comes to describing the wolves and the forest that they live in. For example when Sam (the werewolf) takes Grace into the part of the woods where he lives. “The white, peeled bark of the birches looked buttery in the long, slanting afternoon light, and their leaves were a delicate gold. I turned to Sam, and his eyes reflected the same brilliant yellow back at me.” (Stiefvater 130)

When authors use vivid details it makes the story more interesting and generally more fun to read. If you had the choice, wouldn’t you rather read a book that makes you feel like you are actually there verses a book where you have to struggle to visualize what is going on? I know that I would.  

No comments:

Post a Comment