Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Book recommendation


I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I really liked it. This book is a collection of letters from a boy named Charlie who is going into 9th grade. Charlie writes these letters to a mysterious ‘friend’ all about life, love, and all the things that are a part of figuring out who you are. As he starts off writing, he is mainly worried about starting school and making friends. However, he begins to open up when he writes these letters, saying “You are a good person, who listens, and who cares.” (Chbosky) and soon his letters seem to almost be like his personal diary. Charlie goes through many emotions and feelings that most high-schoolers experience at some point such as; love, depression, alienation, and loneliness. He deals with the loss of friends, and learns that people aren’t all bad. Something is haunting him, holding him back, and he can’t seem to figure out what it is. And when he does, it will bring his world crashing down.

I enjoyed reading this book. It is very well written and the way Charlie sees the world will make you question things you probably haven’t thought about before.  I would recommend this book to people who are looking for a more serious book to read. It requires a lot of inner soul searching, and it is one of those books that even if you wouldn’t read it again, you won’t forget it.

6 comments:

  1. Lots of people I know have read this book and liked it. This recommendation has really opened the book up to me and now I really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This book sounds really deep. Have you watched the movie? Is it anything like it? I know I watched the movie and it was good, but nothing too extraordinary. Maybe I'll read the book and see if it's better. Haha well sounds like a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww this book sounds so good!! And I think it's probably especially relatable to now that we're in high school. My language arts teacher last year really liked the book and so I considered reading it, and now after your post i'm actually going to get the book and read it!! I really like the way your blog is written- its so concise and to the point which makes it much easier for me to understand and follow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book and frankly, I didn't like it at all. Something about this book bothered me. It's possible that I didn't understand it but I remember not enjoying it too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really want to read this book however I have heard both good and bad reviews about it. All my friends were talking about how much they loved the movie, and I thought I should read the book first before watching it. Maybe I would like it, I don't know:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book sounds really interesting! I want to read it now!!!!

    ReplyDelete