Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Blog Reflection


Over the course of this trimester, I believe that the quality of my writing has greatly improved. One way that I believe my writing has improved is because when I first started blogging, my posts were usually short and didn’t have a lot of detail. Towards the end of the trimester my posts got longer and were written better. In my first blog post I made very general connections, saying that “I think everyone is in a position at one point of their life where they don't know who to trust and they have to take a risk” which isn’t a very detailed connection and could be easily related to a lot of books. My other blog post demonstrates how I became better at making detailed connections. In my blog post about the book Thirteen Reasons Why, I blogged about some connections I had made while I was reading the novel. I had gotten better at making specific connections, and I think that my writing portrayed that very well. For example, I stated “When I realized that the tapes were Hannah’s suicide note, it made me think of Amanda Todd… Both Hannah and Amanda used a form of media to share their experiences with bullying” which demonstrates that my ability to connect what I am reading to other forms of media had increased, as well as my writing ability. Instead of being very generic like in my first blog post, I was specific when explaining why I chose to connect the two things. Also, my vocabulary got better of the trimester. I started off saying the word ‘trust’ or ‘trusting’ way more than I needed to, when instead I could’ve used better words such as ‘depending on’. Overall, I think that over the course of the trimester, my blog posts have gotten better as well as the quality of my writing.

As with all things, struggling with something was almost guaranteed. I had a hard time with deciding what to blog about a few weeks into the trimester. My posts tended to be shorter or not as well written once I had reached that certain point because I was unsure of what to keep blogging about. One of my strengths I had was embedding links and pictures. In my first blog post based off of my summer reading novel I embedded a picture, a video, and had a link to an article written about the book. I embedded related YouTube videos in a lot of my posts as well. In one of my blog posts, I asked if anyone knew of any good books to read and I listed a few of the authors that I’ve enjoyed reading lately. In this blog post, I used a lot of hyperlinking. All of their names were a hyperlink, and if you click on them it will take you directly to their individual website.  Overall, I think this one of my strengths. This trimester, I also used a website called goodreads.com to keep up with my independent reading. I set a goal to read 15 books this year, and during this trimester, I have read 6 out of those 15. In order to meet my goal I have to read at least 5 books per trimester, and this trimester I have done that. As a reader, I have become more open to new genres, and my vocabulary has increased as a result of reading a variety of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment